
Oregon State should be preparing for a run on the NCAA College
Baseball World Series, but instead, the team is facing serious questions
about a star pitcher who happens to be felon convicted of a sex crime.
Luke Heimlich, a 21-year-old southpaw who is arguably the best
pitcher in the nation, is a sex offender who, at the age of 15, was
convicted of inappropriately touching a girl who was between the ages of
four and six,
according to a report in the Oregonian. The incident happened when he lived in Washington state, and the newspaper had the disturbing details:
The girl told investigators that inside Heimlich’s bedroom, he
pulled down her underwear and “touched her on both the inside and
outside of the spot she uses to go to the bathroom,” according to court
records. “She said that she told him to stop, but he wouldn’t,” the
documents state, and that “it hurt” when he touched her.
Heimlich pleaded guilty to one count of molestation, a class A
felony in Washington, and as part of his conviction, he had to register
as a sex offender. While most states keep juvenile court records
private, Washington allows some to be made public, but that’s not what
brought this case into public view. It seems that Heimlich let his sex
offender registration in Oregon lapse, and he was caught up in a sweep
of the Benton County (OR.) Sheriff’s Department hunting down sex
offenders. That record made its way into the Oregon court system, and
the Oregonian discovered it while writing a profile on Heimlich.
According to the newspaper, team head coach Pat Casey and athletic
director Scott Barnes have refused comment, and Heimlich hasn’t
responded to requests for comment. Among the questions — did Heimlich
tell OSU officials about his conviction and sex offender status and if
he did, when did he do it? If the university knew, why was he allowed to
play? If they didn’t know, but do know, does that impact his standing
with the team as they march toward a possible NCAA championship? Will be
be allowed to pitch?
Barnes did say Oregon State doesn’t have a policy against banning
students convicted of felonies from athletic participation. A
university spokesman, Steve Clark, told the Oregonian that the sheriff’s
department shares it list of sex offenders with the school and the OSU
cross checks it against its database of students. But there’s no word on
how often that list is updated, and while the school does share the
information with a few departments, like human resources, athletics
automatically doesn’t get a copy, Clark said.
On Thursday, Oregon President Ed Ray issued a statement, in which
he called the report “disturbing,” and said he doesn’t condone the
conduct. The statement appeared, in full, in the Oregonian.
Oregon State University students,
You already may have read or heard about an article published
today on OregonLive and in The Oregonian questioning the university’s
admissions policies. This news story also provided information regarding
a reported past sexual offense conviction involving an individual, who
is now enrolled as an Oregon State University student.
I find this account disturbing and want to let you know that
OSU does not condone the conduct as reported. But we also understand
that this case involves a criminal matter that was previously addressed
by the judicial system in the state of Washington.
We take this issue very seriously, and I want to be clear that
each day the safety and security of our students, faculty and staff is
Oregon State University’s number one priority. Our policies and
procedures seek to provide a safe learning environment for our entire
community and to ensure that all prospective and current students are
treated fairly and equitably.
By university policy, all OSU students – including
student-athletes – are subject to the same academic criteria, admissions
standards, codes of conduct and community standards while applying to
and attending the university. OSU follows U.S. Department of Education
recommendations that universities not allow a person’s criminal history
to affect disproportionately a student’s access to higher education and
opportunity for a better life.
Heimlich has been dominant this season, He’s 11-1 with a 0.76 ERA
with 128 strikeouts in 118 innings and a WHIP — walks plus hits per
innings pitched — below one, at 0.98. Baseball America ranks the 6-foot
left hander as the 31st best prospect in the upcoming three-day MLB
draft, which starts Monday. That means he’s in line to be a first-round
pick and command a million-dollar plus singing bonus. (Last year’s No.
31 pick received a $1,350,000 bonus.)
The Heimlich case brings to the fore the subject of athletes and preferential treatment. Last year,
the Stanford swimmer Brock Turner
was convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman and served
about three months in jail — even though the prosecution asked for 14
years.